What are Glass filled rubies?
- Natural ruby infiltrated with glass to enhance quality and color
- Lead Glass filled rubies come at less then 10% of the cost of a natural ruby
- Glass fill rubies are considered a use and throw ruby – not as an investment
- Glass filled rubies may have long term durability issues if treatment is of poor quality
- Caring for glass fill ruby is completely different from a natural one
The above were quick points to explain what glass filled rubies are. Lets go into more details to explain:
A natural ruby could be opaque, full of inclusions or even pink in color, before they treat it. The real treatment comes when they completely change the look from the opaque, pink colored natural ruby to a semi transparent reddish color glass filled ruby. They take the natural ruby, mix a few “unknown” chemicals, heat at high temperatures so most included crystals but the ruby starts melting, to dissolve in the ruby and make the stone a more valuable one. This is the basics of a glass filled ruby.
Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions or further explanation of What are Glass Filled Rubies . Please share with your friends.